Now I look into get_internal_string_length(), it seems pretty dodgy. I think
it assumes that sizeof(int)==4*sizeof(char), and it will fail utterly if
HAVE_ICONV is not defined.

However, you'd have to be pretty unlucky for any of that to repeatably cause
this particular assertion (which is looking for Unicode Byte Order Marks, for
no reason I understand) to fail; so I'm not sure it's relevant. But on the
off-chance:
* What platform are you using? (Output of "uname -a" or similar)
* Is it possible that you've compiled with --disable-nls or otherwise
disables NLS?

I think we're probably going to need that backtrace.