The function load_sprite() (in ./client/tilespec.c:1869) is used by all
clients. Also it is not modified by this patch and not called within the xaw
specific code. What could be the reason for this function to fail after the
patch?

#> ./civ --gui xaw -t ./data/isotrident -d 4
[...]
4: New genhash table with 389 buckets
4: trying to load gfx file "data/trident/units.png".
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id in failed request:  0xb73db3b0
  Serial number of failed request:  4848

I did some further investigation - the error seems to be located in
./client/gui-xaw/graphics.c:load_gfxfile() which is called shortly after the
log message. The attached crude patch adds some hints to the code. At the
moment I do not have the time for further investigations ...

(file #11840)

File name: test-xaw-error.patch           Size:3 KB