                 Release: 2.2.4 & 2.3.0-beta1
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None
         Planned Release:

I tried setting fuel = 20 for settlers, since the AI does not reassign failed
settlers to found cities elsewhere nor add to existing cities (at least not in
2.2.4. I did not check the 2.3 beta). This made all AI settlers sit idle, both
at game start and if built in existing cities - it does build them in existing
cities, however.

With the units below, the AI does found cities with its starting settlers,
but when given the Pottery tech it only builds as many Settlers2 as it
possibly can without ever moving them.

[unit_settlers]
name          = _("Settlers")
class         = "Land"
tech_req      = "None"
obsolete_by   = "Settlers2"
graphic       = "u.settlers"
graphic_alt   = "-"
sound_move    = "m_settlers"
sound_move_alt = "m_generic"
sound_fight   = "f_settlers"
sound_fight_alt = "f_generic"
build_cost    = 40
pop_cost      = 1
attack        = 0
defense       = 10
hitpoints     = 30
firepower     = 1
move_rate     = 1
vision_radius_sq = 2
transport_cap = 0
fuel          = 0
uk_happy      = 0
uk_shield     = 0
uk_food       = 1
uk_gold       = 1
flags         = "Shield2Gold", "AddToCity", "Cities", "NoVeteran"
roles         = "Cities"
helptext      = _("\
Settlers are one of the key units in the game, as they are necessary for \
founding new cities. Upkeep for Settlers is in food as well as gold \
and a Settler can die if its supporting city runs out of food.\
")

[unit_settlers2]
name          = _("Settlers2")
class         = "Land"
tech_req      = "Pottery"
obsolete_by   = "None"
graphic       = "u.settlers"
graphic_alt   = "-"
sound_move    = "m_settlers"
sound_move_alt = "m_generic"
sound_fight   = "f_settlers"
sound_fight_alt = "f_generic"
build_cost    = 40
pop_cost      = 1
attack        = 0
defense       = 10
hitpoints     = 30
firepower     = 1
move_rate     = 1
vision_radius_sq = 2
transport_cap = 0
fuel          = 20
uk_happy      = 0
uk_shield     = 0
uk_food       = 1
uk_gold       = 1
flags         = "Shield2Gold", "AddToCity", "Cities", "NoVeteran"
roles         = "Cities"
helptext      = _("\
Settlers are one of the key units in the game, as they are necessary for \
founding new cities. Upkeep for Settlers is in food as well as gold \
and a Settler can die if its supporting city runs out of food.\
")

The problem is not due to the "Settlers" flag being removed, although that
does cause them to sit idle if they fail with fuel = 0, at least in 2.2.4.