I *think* running freeciv-server directly and running it with ./ser script
has currently disturbingly different semantics

If FREECIV_PATH is set, but FREECIV_DATA_PATH not:

- freeciv-server uses FREECIV_PATH as default FREECIV_DATA_PATH
- ./ser sets hardcoded default for FREECIV_DATA_PATH

As the ./ser script always sets FREECIV_DATA_PATH, freeciv-server never
applies its default for FRECIV_DATA_PATH when run via ./ser

First we have to decide if this is just documentation bug, or should (and
can) we change the way this works?
I think that proper fix requires behavior to change, but I'm not really sure
how. Documenting current behavior is certainly much easier solution, and maybe
we leave it to that for 2.3 at least.