                 Privacy: Public
         Planned Release: 2.4.0

No patch yet, just proposal. Won't write patches if my plan is not accepted.

As we now have separate FREECIV_DATA_DIR and FREECIV_SCENARIO_DIR, original
freeciv-modpack design of downloading all files to same directory (and its
subdirs) does not work. Currently freeciv-modpack cannot be used for
scenarios. This will never be fixed in S2_3 as datafile format freeze makes it
impossible.
Datafiles, such as rulesets and tilesets, in FREECIV_DATA_DIR are usually
compatible with just one version of freeciv. This is why version specific
subdir is used ( ~/.freeciv/<VERSION>/ ). Scenario files (.sav) on the other
hand should be compatible with almost any Freeciv version.
So, you should need to download scenario files only once ever and all Freeciv
versions would use that same file. Data files you have to download separately
for each Freeciv version.

First of all I would add basic scenario downloading support to
freeciv-modpack. This would consist of adding new modpack_type "Scenario" and
downloading files of such packages to ~/.freeciv/scenario instead of
~/.freeciv/<VERSION>.

Then we come to more complicated situation. What about more complex scenarios
that use their own ruleset instead of default (or some other ruleset shipped
with freeciv)? At this point we can assume that both rulesets and .sav file
are in same package. There would be .sav that is basically compatible with any
Freeciv version, but it uses datafiles that are specific to one Freeciv
version.
I think such scenarios should be techically handled as modpacks.
freeciv-modpack would download all their files under version specific subdir.
Package should take care that .sav file gets installed to subdir "scenario"
there ( ~/.freeciv/<VERSION>/scenario ). Only change to freeciv codebase we
would do to support such modpacks is adding version specific subdir to default
FREECIV_SCENARIO_PATH, probably so that version specific directory comes
before common scenario directory.

In more distant future we can add modpack dependency handling to
freeciv-modpack (scenario depends on ruleset depends on tileset, all get
automatically installed)