             Assigned to: jtn
                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None
         Planned Release:

When a city build target (usually a building) would have no effect due to
having been superseded by the effects of already-built things, it's rendered
with strikethrough formatting in the city's Production tab.

David Lowe quite reasonably suggests
<http://mail.gna.org/public/freeciv-dev/2011-01/msg01049.html> that it should
also be so rendered on the Overview tab, in the production dropdown.

Also on the overview tab, already-built but redundant buildings are marked
with "(*)" or "(O)" in client-independent code. For consistency, these could
be marked with strikethrough in the Gtk code as well.

This may help people who've been confused by the ability to build redundant
buildings (such as Hydro Plant when one has the Hoover Dam
<http://mail.gna.org/public/freeciv-dev/2011-02/msg00442.html>). (See also bug
#17445.)

This is not difficult to achieve technically -- I have a work-in-progress
patch which adds the strikethrough. However, there's the question of what
makes a target "useless"; currently different bits of the code take slightly
different views. This issue has ramifications beyond the UI, so I'll cover it
in a separate (blocking) bug.