                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: GNU/Linux
         Planned Release:

Placeholder for this bug report in Ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/freeciv/+bug/743265

Most of the action is there at the moment, and it should probably stay that
way until we work out who needs to do something about this.

The Unity environment used in new versions of Ubuntu involves (in at least
some of its incarnations) stealing the menu bar from an application's window
and putting it along the top of the screen, in a rather Mac-ish way.

This seems to interact badly with Freeciv's use of menu bars:
* We embed menu bars in a couple of unusual places -- in the Cities report
and in the Diplomacy tab, for instance. The originally reported issue was that
these menu bars disappeared and hence the relevant functions were
inaccessible. This is pretty bad.
* More fundamentally, when I tried this, I couldn't get at the main menu bar
_at all_. This is worse.

I don't know whether we're using menu bars badly (or if there's something we
can do in our use of menu bars to avoid tickling this behaviour) -- I couldn't
find anything resembling programmer's documentation on
http://unity.ubuntu.com/ (but I didn't look very hard) -- or if this is a bug
in the Unity stuff that we can't avoid (except by stopping using menu bars).

I'm not yet sure of the scope of this bug. It might be as bad as making
Freeciv more-or-less unplayable with versions of the Ubuntu distirbution from
Natty (11.04) onwards (where Unity became the default desktop environment).