                 Privacy: Public
         Planned Release: 2.4.0

Over the years there has been numerous discussion about possibility to use
lua from host system instead of one that freeciv provides in its own source
tree.
Lat time I took part in such discussion we were still using toluaxx and a bit
everything in our scripting system was unstable. Back then my opinion was that
we simply have to get things working reliably with the exact lua we ship
before we start supporting any variation adding another variable to make
problem debugging harder.
I think we have since well reached the point in quality where exact revision
of lua no longer matters as long as api has not changed.
Debian at least ships freeciv with modification, much uglier than this patch,
that makes it to use system lua. So even if we would insist in upstream that
only specific lua version can be reliably supported, final end user would
still get problems of using system lua.
Thus, attached patch adds configure option to use system lua instead of one
in freeciv tree. Default is still to use in-tree lua. With good reasoning I
could be convinced that default should be using system lua, but for now we
have to have at least option to use in-tree lua, and thus need to maintain
that in-tree copy remains.

File Attachments:

Date: Fri 24 Jun 2011 12:09:00 AM EEST  Name: SysLua.diff  Size: 3kB   By:
cazfi