Wow, what a coincidence!  I just experienced this myself.  In addition to the
fact that all the government types but Despotism being ghosted out, there is
something distinctly wrong in that the list of government types is duplicated
apparently endlessly.  I will attempt to attach a screenshot.  If it rejected
due to size limitations i will send it to the list...  Savegame also attached.

(file #13495, file #13496)

File name: No Republic.tiff               Size:771 KB
File name: freeciv-T0072-Y-0700-manual.sav.bz2 Size:14 KB