While I haven't yet actually been unable to change governments, presumably in
a real game (rather than my toy examples) the Government menu becomes so long
that at best it's impractical to scroll to the bottom of it, or at worst
something breaks and it's actually impossible.

However, saving after the new government type becomes available, reloading,
and immediately starting a revolution (with specified target government)
should constitute a workaround for single-player games. For multi-player,
leaving, and rejoining ought to do it (quitting doesn't seem to be necessary).
That seems at odds with the noises in comment #0 and comment #5. Please
confirm that I've fixed the right problem...