Update of bug #17962 (project freeciv):

Follow-up Comment #17:

Done that.

Based on nothing more than Marko's diagnosis in comment #12, I'm going to
mark this as fixed, in an attempt to gather evidence to the contrary.

If anyone able to make Windows builds can actually verify that the original
problem has gone away before the weekend, that would be great. Or just make a
Windows build available containing this fix and I'll compare it to one without
myself (if I find time).