>> Looking at the code, the decision whether to open the file in
>> "r" (text) or "rb" (binary) mode seems to be in fz_from_file().
>> I'm slightly suspicious of this code [...]
> That probably is the change that break things between 2.2 and
> 2.3. bz2 support was added for 2.3.

I've just checked, and the Windows 2.2.7 build has the same trouble as
2.3.0-RC1 if (say) helpdata.txt has DOS line endings. So it's not a difference
in the code between 2.2 and 2.3, it's just that 2.2 happened to ship with Unix
line endings.

However, that doesn't prove that fixing the issue referenced above won't fix
this, as 2.2.7 has the offending bzip2 code. It looks like bzip2 came in
between 2.1 and 2.2.

It's not clear we'll have a code fix in time for the weekend. Christian, is
it possible to make the next 2.3.0 Windows builds have text files with Unix
line endings, as 2.2.7 did?