It was freeciv-client-gtk 2.2.4-1ubuntu0.1. That's my system theme. Dark
themes look disgusting at first, but it gets elegant and ends eyestrain.

I'm not sure about the client's options. I ran it, saw the image in the
screenshot, and closed it.

System settings are partly respected. The text colour seems correct, but the
parchment-image background makes it unreadable.

The easiest option is to force the text colour, since the background colour
is forced already, making system settings irrelevant. That's what Freecol was
doing, which worked and my eyes still hurt.

Otherwise, system settings could be detected and accounted for, or the custom
appearance could change.