I'm trying to use the tech_upkeep feature to keep players from selling the
science buildings when they reach future techs.
My first idea was to enable the tech_upkeep_style = 1, with a default
Tech_Upkeep_Free that negates completely any possible tech upkeep... then to
reduce this Tech_Upkeep_Free by 1 for each city without library, and another 1
for each city without university and lab center.
This way, the larger the empire, the harder to keep the technological level,
and even harder if you do not build research labs or you destroy your
libraries and universities.

I tested something like this, but this "City" range does not seem compatible
with the "Tech_Upkeep_Free" effect:
Code:

[effect_upkeep_tech_free]
name    = "Tech_Upkeep_Free"
value   = -1
reqs   =
    { "type", "name", "range"
      "MinSize", "1", "City"
    }
nreqs   =
    { "type", "name", "range"
      "Building", "Library", "City"
    }

If it is not possible to get something like that, I'd ask you to enhance the
Tech_Upkeep_Free effect so each city from the player can affect it separately,
same than Upkeep_Free for buildings, or Unit_Upkeep_Free_Per_City for units.
Thanks anyway for this Tech_Upkeep feature.