                 Release: 2.2.4
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows
         Planned Release:

Reported on the wikia forum
<http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Can%27t_save_the_game>:

In single-player mode, one Windows user is getting the message "Failed to
obtain the required access level to take control of the server. The server
will now be shutdown."

Clearly this shouldn't happen (bug 1). Fortunately for that user, the server
apparently is *not* shut down (bug 2?), and they can carry on playing fine --
but they cannot save games (or do anything else requiring privilege -- they
can change server settings only by dint of being the only player and winning
votes, for instance).

This is their log (from the wiki page):

Freeciv is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it under
certain conditions;
See the "Copying" item on the Help menu.
Now ... Go give 'em hell!
Starting server...
Welcome to the Freeciv version 2.2.4 Server at port 5556.
You are logged in as 'xxx' connected to xxx.
Failed to obtain the required access level to take control of the server. The
server will now be shutdown.
New vote (number 1) by xxx: set topology 5 (needs 51% in favor).
Vote 1 "set topology 5" is passed 1 to 0 with 0 abstentions and 0 who did not
vote.
Vote 1: xxx voted yes.
(server prompt): 'set topology 5'
Option: topology has been set to 5.
/quit: You are not allowed to use this command.

This is with 2.2.4, but I can't think of anything we've fixed since then that
might fix this.