So, I took some code from comment #5 patches, added a bit of my own left some
of the old (non-gdk_draw*) alone.

First patch is mostly the old one + patch #2914,
second has a bit of cleanup and new stuff (working fog - at least it seems to
be working).

I'm getting similar results - animated cursor is corrupted, unit/building
pictures in treeviews (city dialog, economy dialog and unit select dialog)
too. The last one is most funny - all that's needed to change the corruption
level is to click on arrow button repeatedly.
There's also a minor corruption at the shorelines with trident patchset.

On the other hand, antialiased curved lines in science dialog look much
better, fog looks fine too (only one type possible now).

(file #13964, file #13965)

File name: api-cleanup.patch              Size:49 KB
File name: cairo-drawing.patch            Size:51 KB