The check is implemented like this since 2004 ...Considering patch #2943
(https://gna.org/patch/?2943), the index values should be compared:

bool same_pos(const struct tile *tile1, const struct tile *tile2)
{
  fc_assert_ret_val(tile1 != NULL && tile2 != NULL, FALSE);
  return (tile1->index == tile2->index);
}