I couldn't find a case where the username (as specified by "-n" on the
command line or "Login:" in the client) case was munged, on a quick look. Can
you give a specific reproduction case?

The only possibility I can think of is the magic whereby if this username
matches a leader name of a nation known to Freeciv, it will tend to pick that
nation for the user in the absence of better ideas, and then the _leader_ name
will tend to be an uppercased version. For instance if I "freeciv-gtk2 -n
caesar", I tend to end up being the Romans led by "Caesar".

I don't think this is new behaviour, but since new nations were added in 2.3,
it could start triggering for usernames where it didn't before.