I replied by email to freeciv-dev@gna.org to include the quote, as I didn't
see a quote button on the web interface, but the email has been stuck in
moderation for 2 days.

>> or it should behave like a view-port (like interactive real
>> world map sites) that pushes aside when dragging&  dropping
>> inside of it ; in either case not needing scroll bars.
> Not sure what you mean by dragging and dropping; there are no
drag-and-drop
> operations in Freeciv involving the minimap.

I'm not sure view-port (viewport) is the right term but it's the one I'm
using for a lack of a better term. Whichever word it is, it's suppose to
describe a navigable "hole" in part of a (much) larger part. Getting back to
my example, let's say you are at 100m scale clearly seeing the streets path,
well if you want to get to another town, you will have to drag & drop a lot in
that hole so that the image at that scale cross the municipal border, yet
alone get into the town center. To further show what I mean I created an image
 in which the dark grey border are static and the light grey is the virtual
movement and the arrow show dragging & dropping in the middle of the
"view-port".

Well that hole doesn't need scroll bars because it should be big enough to
allow dragging & dropping and you theoretically get to any point using it (I
think few people would have the patience go across a continent at clear street
level (zoom)).

---

The following was in a PS email.

Ok! I don't know what happened but after a few hours with Freeciv closed
(earlier I closed and reopened it right away), the interface is now changed
and there' s about twice the area for the minimap.

Well I think this should be changed into a suggestion for when the small
displays option is enabled. There's never a need for scroll bar with the way
modern maps function, using the principle I showed in my image.

(file #14191)

File name: viewport.png                   Size:2 KB