> if I reinstate the assertion compiled out in bug #18095, I see
> these assertion failures in this reproduction case. So it seems
> like a good idea to fix this for 2.3.1, if possible.

Please note that same commit that removed the assert from S2_3 also added
some emergency code for the cases where it used to trigger. In practice S2_3
already does same recalculations as this patch, just in a bit different time
(it may actually get more correct data as it's refreshed just when needed...)
While this patch fixes real bug, these ai/adv data sequences are error-prone
so that I'd rather not touch them in stable branch without good reason.