Update of bug #18687 (project freeciv):

                Category:                    None => general
             Assigned to:                    None => jtn
        Operating System:                    None => Any
         Planned Release:                   2.4.0 => 2.3.1,2.4.0,2.5.0

Follow-up Comment #5:

Now I come to look, this is rather easy to fix, as packets.def allows a
variety of fixed point representations. I've chosen centiseconds, giving a
(signed) range of ~250 days, comfortably beyond the maximum supported timeout
of ~99 days.

For S2_3 I've fixed this using an optional network capability.
(Feels like I should have been able to have two identically-named fields with
different types and capabilities, and not have had to touch the source code at
all; but the script didn't like it. Not going to try to improve this on a
stable branch.)

BTW, having done this, I'm getting the rather chatty

2: packet_game_info: using variant=100 cap=+Freeciv-2.3-network
timeout_extended_range

from client and server whenever they connect. Seems this is generated by
log_test(), which I think is #defined to log_normal() in all builds. Do we
really need to be this chatty about this detail in non-debug builds? (2.2.x
had an optional capability "trade_illness"; I don't remember it being this
chatty.)

(file #14536, file #14537, file #14538)

File name: trunk-timeout-60h.diff         Size:1 KB
File name: S2_4-timeout-60h.diff          Size:1 KB
File name: S2_3-timeout-60h.diff          Size:4 KB