                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows
         Planned Release:

Christian has made several improvements to language selection in the Windows
installer recently, up to the point in 2.3.1 where a relatively nontechnical
user can choose a language, provided they know their language code.

However, it could be slicker yet. Ideally I think the language selection
process would include the following information for each language:
* Filename / language code, as now
* Language name, so people don't have to know language codes
** In English at least, and possibly native too
** Possible sources: Wikipedia ISO 639-1
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes>, Ubuntu
/usr/share/language-selector/data/languagelist
* Translation completeness stats
** Currently one can't tell the difference between a 100% or 30% complete
translation at install time, and I would expect that to influence the decision
of whether to use it.

Realising all of these, particularly the last item, could benefit from some
coordination between the standard tarball release process and the
Windows-specific packaging process.

For instance, it would be natural for the standard release process to drop
out some sort of file containing translation statistics right after building
the po-files, for inclusion in the release tarball, in a form that the Windows
packaging process could pick up, to minimise the need for gettext tools in the
latter.

This approach means that addition of new languages can be done by any
developer, and would also potentially allow other packaging processes (such as
Mac OS?) to benefit from the same effort.

But I'm not sure of the details. I suspect having the latest Windows
installer scripts or similar material under version control would help.