Progress:
Have reproduced on ltex23.longturn.org with kevin551's help (although we had
trouble with delegation).
What do you know, it is an "invisible" city -- the city causing the trouble
has name = "000394", which matches the pattern of invented names that Freeciv
uses (and kevin551 says there's no real city of that name).
This city is owned by the client player (client.conn.playing = kevin551).
I'm surprised that such a city structure (a) exists at all, (b) ends up being
used here. Perhaps for (a) it's a transitory state while the initial game data
is being sent.
Haven't figured it all out yet, but plenty to go on as and when I find time.