> Again, this may simply be a freeciv policy, but adding
> workarounds for distro packaging errors seems an odd solution.
> If a distro builds freeciv, they'll add the dep, once it fails
> to run, if a user has the problem, they should bug their distro.

Now you think solely of freeciv packaged by downstream distro, and not freeciv
project itself. There are many platforms where freeciv can be compiled and
used, but yet is not included to distro. We are not depending on distro, but
the other way around. We can hardly say it's distro's fault if someone takes
svn checkout from freeciv repository and has a build failure because (s)he has
not installed some dependency from his/her distro.