> do_make_unit_veteran(), which still returns a boolean result.

Indeed, it seems to have return type 'int', but returns either TRUE or FALSE.
This inconsistency could be even consider a bug.

> I can see places where the AI behaves as though it is true, for
> instance dai_choose_defender_versus().

That was probably the place that used to crash with civ2 ruleset (before my
fixes) and where I got the impression that VeteranBuild effect is now
considered int and not bool (I remember someone working on patch to make it
so, so I just assumed that it has been changed)