                 Privacy: Public
         Planned Release:

Some discussion about problems to maintain this feature that has not much use
anyway in bug #19029.

I propose we drop the feature. AFAIK nobody had ever (in well over 10 years)
requested it before it was added in 2.3 development (meaning 2.4 would be
first version where any such saves, to version 2.3, would be possible).

jtn:
> Save compatibility is easier
> since we have the in-memory data structures (although there's a
> small chance
> of future disturbance of save compatibility code if the
> in-memory data
> structures change significantly, whereas ideally you'd want
> never to have to
> touch it again).

Yes, what I ended doing with ACTIVITY_GEN_ROAD related stuff is that in compat
function I completely disregard all the stuff produced by main saving code and
recreate it in compatibility format from real game state. End result: we spend
CPU cycles and memory creating first version which we then use for absolutely
nothing. Now I'm saving in two formats: 2.5 and earlier (2.4 & 2.3). I expect
this to be only worse in the future as there's more versions between current
and 2.3 to which compatibility should reach. Will we be doing similar separate
2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7 format saving for some stuff when doing 2.8
development?