This is an old case and probalby already forgotten but I'd like to raise it up
for a reason. Non-military units, like explorers and caravans, are creating
annoying situations in online games by imposing ZOC.

My suggestion is to introduce new flag for either unit or unit class. The flag
would prevent the flagged unit from creating a zone of control. Sounds simple
but I have no idea of how complex it would be to implement.

Zone of control, as I understand it, exists beacuse a unit controls it's
surrounding area thus preventing (enemy) units to enter there. Now, what means
does a non-military unit possess to control it's neighbouring tiles against
any military units?