On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM, Marko Lindqvist
<no-reply.invalid-addr...@gna.org> wrote:
>  I just wonder if this would be useful or even intuitive to use.

Oh it's very useful to me (terraforming 29ktile torus map poles) and
it seems to work quite well in practice.

Calling it "connect with" is probably a bit of a misnomer.

> After all
> transfrom result depends on terrain, so when you "connect with transform" you
> are not turning all tiles along your route to the same terrain, but just to
> something else than what that particular tile previously was.

Yes, this is an imperfection I'm currently experiencing. Hundreds of
engineers with transform paths intersecting leads to some tiles
getting transformed more than others in a path. On the poles that's
fine, because to get from glacier to something useful takes a few
passes anyway, but I could see tiles changing to ocean accidentally
with an overaggressive transform path.

That said, I'd gladly take this imperfection (having to pay careful
attention to the paths I set the engineers on) over having to
transform the poles tile by tile by tile by tile.

>  Assuming we end up wanting this feature, patch needs some fixes:

It's more of a "here it is if you wish you could to this" patch in the
category "better than nothing".

>  - This does not apply against TRUNK where feature development happens. I
> assume you have developet it against some stable branch/version

I'm still busy playing a S2_2 game on which I've needed these
features, maybe once I finish this game I'll update the patches.
Unfortunately S2_3 wouldn't load my savegame, which didn't inspire
confidence in TRUNK being able to do so.

>  - You check unit type flag F_SETTLERS, when you should check for F_TRANSFORM.
> Majority of F_SETTLERS units cannot transform

Eek! Somehow I never saw F_TRANSFORM, only F_CITIES which is obviously
insufficient. Thanks.

>  - I find it hard to believe that pathfinding costs callback
> get_connect_road() would work perfectly for transform too, yet you add
> ACTIVITY_TRANSFORM in switch() to list of activities using it

I'm not sure why it isn't perfect, the turns count shown when hovering
a path seem reasonable. They're dominated by transform time, rather
than move time, so it's possible I'm just not noticing an
off-by-one/few error.

By the way, get_connect_road leads to a far more useful feature than
using get_connect_irrig - otherwise the engineers sometimes get stuck
having to make many diversions around resources.