                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: cproc
                  Effort: 0.00
         Planned Release: 2.4.0-beta1

Don't panic, the beta isn't imminent...

However, I want somewhere to note Windows-specific extra work that's going to
be needed for the first 2.4.0 release, in plenty of time. (The task end date
is not meaningful.)

So far I've thought of the following. (See also doc/README.packaging.)

1. Need to work out which Gtk client we're shipping for Windows -- Gtk2 or
Gtk3. (There doesn't seem to be any point packaging both.)
By default I'd like to try for Gtk3. That presumably means work for you
getting Gtk3 libraries and so on for Windows. Might be a good idea to start
putting together a test build from head of S2_4, so we can work out the
kinks.
(But if we go for Gtk3, don't throw away ability to build Gtk2 for Windows
just yet; we may need it as a backup plan -- I'm not sure how heavily
exercised the Gtk3 client has been so far.)

2. Installer scripts.
For a start, we should get the installer material onto the S2_4 branch (and
trunk) -- bug #19088 only put it on S2_3. Then I expect it will need some
tweaks.

3. New mandatory dependency: libcurl (for HTTP).

4. Optional new dependency: liblzma (for .xz compressed files). Not too
bothered if we don't get this.

5. Don't bother to try to build the Qt client yet; it doesn't do anything.

  <http://gna.org/task/?7599>