In some ways it would be a lot easier if the internal character set could be
relied on to be UTF-8. For instance I know of portable code to fix bug #17289
without introducing platform dependencies, but only assuming UTF-8. Right now
I think I have to code as if it could be any character set (I might end up
with Shift-JIS or something), and so be very conservative in my assumptions --
is that right? (I can't immediately locate the developer documentation on
character sets, I'm sure I'm seen some somewhere.)