                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None
         Planned Release:

$subject is actually just one side of the bug I've so far managed to work
around.
It should be possible to load ruleset without barbarian unit types, if
barbarians are disabled from the game. Game starting sequence is such that
this succeeds only if barbarians were disabled before ruleset loading started
- this is even more counterintuitive remembering that ruleset loading resets
the settings, so usually there's no point at all to set some settings before
setting rulesetdir.
For initial loading of the ruleset I have primitive.serv like this:

set barbarians DISABLED
rulesetdir primitive

*and* in game.ruleset:

[settings]
set =
    { "name", "value", "lock"
      "barbarians", "DISABLED", TRUE
    }

Former allows loading of the ruleset, latter sets barbarians disabled also
after ruleset loading resets the setting.

Now that I have played such a game, and saved it (as a scenario, but I don't
think that makes any difference), I'm unable to load savegame. There's no way
to make server disable the barbarians before ruleset is loaded.