> Have you considered scaling instead of clipping?
I hadn't. That would be kind of consistent with other upgrade behaviour (HP,
MP).

However, then you have to ask whether upgrading to a unit with *more* veteran
levels should also scale. And unlike HP/MP, we don't know (and probably
shouldn't guess) if the ruleset author made it so the maximum veteran level
has similar "goodness" for the two unit types, or if for the newer one, the
first few veteran levels are the "same" and there's just more room for
improvement at the top end.

So I'm inclined not to scale, or at most to take your "nasty" option.