                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None
         Planned Release:

>From 2.4, we're taking away the ability to start network games (even LAN
games) in the client (as of bug #18530), the rationale being that
single-player games should not be opening up listening sockets on public
interfaces.

However, we know that people do start multiplayer games this way, and for LAN
games at least there's no good reason not to do so. (Internet games are
problematic due to NAT/firewalls, not that starting from the client makes much
difference.)

Probably we should provide two buttons instead of the single "Start New
Game":
* "Start Single Player Game": current S2_4 behaviour
* "Host Network Game": old S2_3 behaviour (eventually with some extra UI,
e.g., "tell the metaserver about it"?)