> Do we want to do something like have the initial exchange use
> 8-bit fields? Or will we live with the mutual unintelligibility?

I'd have clean cut now to 16bit fields. That's why the change was timed to
beginning of entire release cycle.

Changing this now would break compatibility with TRUNK between S2_4 branching
and now.

Best, if one that requires some work, way to do this would be to make TRUNK to
somehow work with both 8bit and 16bit fields in initial packets, so it would
be compatible with both past and future versions, and only later (when 2.4 is
so old that practically nobody uses those versions with 8bit fields) move
fully to 16bit fields.