One at a time:
1. this patch looks good to me - you'll add that file only once if both gtk
clients are build, which is a good thing, cause otherwise it could break with
parallel make

2. as for freeciv.rc-2.0, as I mentioned it a different patch/bug, while most
likely trivial, I'd prefer if such a large volume change as GTK_CHECK_VERSION
cleanup would come from Marko (why yes, it's CYA at its best); IIRC, this file
already isn't used (though only in part by design; then again
gtk_rc_parse_string wouldn't have any effect anyway), after this cleanup, I'll
most likely be able to remove parts using GtkStyle, making the file pointless