With new client written from scratch we have an good opportunity to do things
in a new way compared to existing clients. From the talks in several forums,
one thing that always comes up, is how freeciv's 2D sprites based graphics
turn most users out, only some playing for nostalgic reasons ("freeciv is like
games were in my childhood"). So I could consider even 5.0 as minimum Qt
requirement once it (Qt5) comes out. Reason being that Qt3D will be part (not
just extension) of it
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2012/04/11/qt-3d-and-qt5-qt4-news-and-releases/ Maybe
it would be useful for us?