                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: GNU/Linux
         Planned Release:

For a while I've noticed that the Freeciv clients take ~2 seconds from my
telling them to quit to the window actually going away, but hadn't
investigated it.

Today I ended up in a situation where two users were logged in to the same
machine, and one had "grabbed" the sound capability (a paused web video), such
that the other user couldn't make sounds. In this situation, freeciv-gtk2
hangs indefinitely on quit (S2_3, S2_4, trunk). Adding debug narrowed the hang
down to the shutdown() call in client/audio.c:audio_shutdown().

Other apps cope gracefully with this (admittedly rare) situation, so probably
we can do better too.

This prompted me to investigate the area, and I found
client/audio_sdl.c:my_stop() does this:

  /* fade out over 2 sec */
  Mix_FadeOutMusic(2000);

Which almost certainly explains the pause in the more common situation. Using
"-P none" got rid of the pause.

I'm using the "freesounds" soundset, which has a looping "music_start", but
that's not playing by the time I quit. Changing to "stdsounds" (which has no
looping sounds/music), the issue is still there.

Unsorted thoughts:
* The user probably doesn't care about waiting for a nice fade-out when
they've told the game to quit.
* If I quit in the pregame, when music is playing, I don't get a fade-out
anyway; the music suddenly stops, then the program pauses for 2s, then quits.
* Perhaps the 2000ms wait could be conditionalised on whether there's actually
something playing.