                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: jtn
         Planned Release: 2.3.3,2.4.0-beta1,2.5.0

In PR#39775 / r13825
<http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv?view=revision&revision=13825>, the NEWS
file in the distribution has been a stub pointing at wiki.

It bothers me that the distribution is not self-contained; I'd rather that the
history was available to anyone who has the tarball, for years to come,
without dependence on external entities like Wikia remaining viable. This is
mainly an extra chore for the release manager, and well, that's me for now :)

My plan is to continue to *prepare* the NEWS file on wiki, and leave a copy
there, but to scrape it at release time using a script similar to the
generate_FAQ.pl scraper and put that in the NEWS file in svn / tarball.

Possibly I'll only do this for major releases; not sure. NEWS between minor
releases will at most live in that branch's tarballs, not forever, I think.