Oh, does the assert happen in server or client side? You haven't actually said
that, but for some reason I've tried to reproduce server side crash.

Attached is the autogame I tested:
- civ2civ3.serv settings
- Random seed from the savegame you provided
- Minplayers setting set to 0 (I'm still curios of how you started the all-ai
game when minplayers setting was not 0 - had you first human player that was
then turned to ai?)
- timeout set to -1 ("proceed as fast as you can) This requires --enable-debug
build

Can you test if this asserts for you?

(file #16381)

File name: c2c3rp.serv                    Size:0 KB