                 Privacy: Public
         Planned Release: 2.5.0

Explorer unit exist in Alien World ruleset mainly so that it can be given to
players in startunits. I never considered them something player would bother
to build him/herself. We could even force that by adding "NoBuild" flag to
Explorer, but I don't think that would make sense.

I lost my Explorer early to barbarians in a hut. I then thought that maybe I
build new one, and discovered that they cost 30 shields.
AW Explorer has *no* IgTerr (which would provide 3 moves on all terrains). It
has move rate of 2 (which is better than 1 on some terrains only). With cost
of 10 shields, Star Marines are three times cheaper, and faster to produce. It
makes more sense to produce Star Marine (to start exploring + city producing
something else earlier) than Explorer even when one builds unit tasked to
explore. Star Marines have also attack of 1. On the other hand explorers have
no upkeep, so they should be more expensive than Star Marines so that they
wouldn't replace Star Marines as city defender unit in the beginning.

So, I conclude that best cost for Explorer is 20. Patch attached.

File Attachments:

Date: Mon 13 Aug 2012 03:32:14 AM EEST  Name: AWExplorerCost20.patch  Size:
446B   By: cazfi