It seems that discussion here has moved to single aspect of simple scenario.
It doesn't answer the question if starting with first city placed would be
possible to implement in lua in general ruleset case.
1) You don't expect someone to write nation specific code for all the nations
if default nations list is used?
2) Starting location is not mentioned at all except that it was hardcoded to
some script fragment. This is the more problematic part - I don't think lua
script currently knows what is player's starting location, and in fact server
may have selected starting location unsuitable for city placement ("NoCities"
terrain)

This last point is actually why I think this must be implemented in ruleset &
C-code. Server must be aware of the fact that city will be founded to starting
location before it assigns those locations.