I did not know about the Patches section. The patch attached here may be
easier and safer to apply, otherwise the bug report may be closed.

I do not understand your comment about the Control key. In the city dialog
there is a code to test if the Control is pressed while double clicking on the
improvement. If it is, it should open the help dialog and if not it should
sell the improvement.

With the old code help dialog opens all the time. When this code is changed to
a new device/pointer API the mask behaves correctly and if no Control key is
pressed the improvement will be sold.

It may be related to me having two displays on nvidia RandR-enabled device. I
do not know the inner working of GTK+.