Earlier this year there was some talk about SDL 2.0 getting released
soon (this year). I've had no time to look what it means for us before
now, but neither has SDL 2.0 been released.

Here's the basics of 1.2 -> 2.0 migration
http://wiki.libsdl.org/moin.cgi/MigrationGuide

Which route we should take this time? While gtk 2.0 -> 3.0 migration
by providing too completely separate clients has worked well, this SDL
upgrade seems to affect code less, so I would go route of #ifdeffing
between version used. From my point of view main drawback of that
would be that one cannot build both versions concurrently as separate
clients.

 - ML