I vaguely wonder about making this clearer in the UI -- currently there's
nothing stopping players from needlessly fortifying their units in cities in
the mistaken belief that this will help. Perhaps if units in cities never
reach "fortified" state (grey fort icon) and are permanently "fortifying"
(yellow "F") when inside cities, and if a city is built around them they go
from fortified to fortifying, would hint (somewhat obliquely) that something
funny is going on?

I don't want to take the order away entirely, as I sometimes use it as an
alternative to Sentry when I don't want a unit to wake up and hassle me every
time a foreigner passes by.