> It looks like fc_assert_ret() isn't disabled in NDEBUG builts.

Right. So some macros of the family are affected by NDEBUG and others are not.
I can see why it's made that way, but I don't necessarily like the
inconsistency. Well, maybe they are fine defined that way, but then we force
the patch #3712 CodingStyle policy that no necessary functionality is allowed
to be put inside macro calls even in case of those macros for which current
implementation allows it. 1) It's easier to remember "Never" than "In case of
this and that macro it's ok, but not with those two" 2) things may change in
the future.