Ah, I meant that units which the user has explicitly asked to fortify which
are in cities would get the permanent-F state (to indicate that they're not
getting a bonus from the user's action), not that all units inside cities
without other orders automatically get an 'F' icon (to indicate the automatic
defense bonus).

(It's good to know that it's not just me that uses "fortify" to mean "go to
sleep until I wake you". Perhaps we need such an order for non-CanFortify
units?)