> However, the help for [civ2] Settlers says:
> "Settlers in a Republic or Democracy require twice as much
> food per turn, and in Communist or Fundamentalist societies,
> three times as much."
I haven't checked the original game, but two references I've found (1
<http://www.strategyplanet.com/allsid/civilization%202/government.asp>, 2
<http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Civilization_II/Government>) don't mention it,
and the first indicates that food upkeep is 1 for these govs.

Did we make this up?
* The "three times as much" text came from me in patch #1390. I presume I was
just updating docs to match the ruleset, so we can't take that as intention.
* Going back, I think r11293
<http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv?revision=11293&view=revision> (when
effects were added) bumped it from 2 to 3, and that this was probably
inadvertent.
* Going back further, upkeep=2 seems to have been deliberate; r4517
<http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv?revision=4517&view=revision> deliberately
changed it for Communism, and r3761
<http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv?revision=3761&view=revision> implemented
Fundamentalism in this state.

So I think we should at least reduce it to 2 (under a new ticket), and
possibly back to 1 (depending on whether we can find out what commercial Civ2
did).

(I can see a possible game balance argument for having high settler upkeep, to
balance the military advantages of these governments, but the civ2 ruleset
isn't the place for such tweaks.)

> (Incidentally, if we are intentionally shipping rulesets with
> upkeep 3, it's not ideal that the upkeep icon can only go up
> to 2 -- I only noticed this by hovering over the unit icon to
> get the upkeep numbers.)
Patch #3824 will address this limitation.