Update of bug #20690 (project freeciv):

Follow-up Comment #2:

I think we must postpone restricting newcomer creation, and civil war player
creation, by maxplayers setting. Newcomer creation part is anyway unimportant
in that player requests it explicitly, and thus current behavior can be
considered just user-friendlier way to do two player actions "increase
maxplayers" + "create player". Civil war I consider a bit more a problem, as
that can increase number of players over maxplayers even when that's not
desired (most important use-case for me would be, as a public server operator,
to limit number of players with ruleset-locked maxplayer setting)

Anyway, attached patch fixes the newcomer creation to work in respect to
maxplayers similar to civil war - increase maxplayers if it's reached, so that
player count does not end up bigger than maxplayers limit.

(file #17712)

File name: MaxplayersNewcomer.patch       Size:1 KB