                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None
         Planned Release:

In passing in bug #20057, David Fernandez observed (2012 Aug 28):

---

[...] now I get a different error:

trunk:

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
map.c: In function ‘startpos_iter_init’:
map.c:1608: warning: type-punning to incomplete type might break
strict-aliasing rules
make[4]: *** [map.lo] Error 1

S2_4:

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
map.c: In function ‘startpos_iter_init’:
map.c:1558: warning: type-punning to incomplete type might break
strict-aliasing rules
make[4]: *** [map.lo] Error 1

----

(He said "I'm using ubuntu 9.04 that I can no longer update", so presumably
the GCC version was whatever was current in that release.)

The line pointed to on trunk at the time was

  (void) nation_iter_init((struct nation_iter *) &iter->nation_iter);

Just raising this so we don't lose it. I've not tried to reproduce the warning
-- maybe it's been resolved in the months since, in which case close the
ticket. (But there do seem to be shenanigans in this area; see
startpos_iter_sizeof() for instance.)