Now is as opportune a time to mention this as any...

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik
<sveinun...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> It may also have potential as a real paranoid
> debugging tool by testing that each packet is the same when nothing is
> supposed to have changed (not implemented yet).

Here's another debugging tool:

http://repo.or.cz/w/freeciv/berndj.git/commit/104328d54ce9e3b19ff71ce446023cfbcd43043c

(I still need to update it for >2.4.) While it doesn't make it
particularly easy to create test cases, it does the "testing that ...
is the same" part. The focus is on testing client and server behaviour
overall, packets be damned, so not really in the same category as your
recorder tool.

P.S. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't see anything at
http://folk.ntnu.no/kvilhaug/bazaar/FreecivRecorder/ with my www
browser - or is that expected for a bzr repository?